Skip to main content
Students laugh in class

MPA Bridge FAQs

Stay for an additional year at UT and earn your master's degree in accounting. Check out these frequently asked questions, and contact us if you need additional assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the MPA Bridge, Traditional MPA, and Integrated MPA programs?

The MPA Bridge is designed for current UT undergraduates (both McCombs and non-McCombs students) who are pursuing a non-accounting bachelor's degree. Students get a head start on MPA courses during their senior year. 

The traditional MPA is designed for students who will have earned a bachelor’s degree (or comparable) from a four-year accredited college or university prior to enrolling in the MPA program.

The integrated MPA is designed for current students in the McCombs School of Business who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Through the integrated MPA, students will earn a BBA degree in accounting along with an MPA degree.

I’m already a senior by hours. Can I still apply to MPA Bridge?

Yes, you can apply to the program with senior standing as long as you will complete your bachelor’s degree in August (following admission to the MPA Bridge program) or later. If you plan to complete your undergraduate degree in May, you would not be eligible for MPA Bridge and should apply to the traditional MPA program instead. Please contact us or schedule an admissions consultation if you have any questions.

I do not meet the GPA requirements due to a past bad semester(s)/extenuating circumstances. My recent scholastic performance is good – can I apply?

Your chances for admission are reduced by not meeting the minimum GPA requirements. However, the MPA Admissions Committee will review your application holistically and take all of your application materials into account. Your academic performance (in the pre-enrollment and any other quantitative/analytical courses and in upper-division courses in your major), essays, letters of recommendation, and non-academic achievements all play an important role in your acceptance into the MPA program.

Schedule an admissions consultation if you would like to discuss your particular situation and ways in which you can strengthen your application. 

I am currently enrolled in an MPA Bridge pre-enrollment course. Can I apply even though I don't have my final grade?

Ideally, you should have completed all required pre-enrollment courses at the time of application. However, if you are enrolled in one of the courses at the time of application and you have already completed the other pre-enrollment requirements, you can still apply for admission to the MPA Bridge program. 

  • Non-McCombs majors who wish to take ACC 311 or ACC 312 at Texas McCombs should visit the BBA Program Office website for details on enrolling. BBA courses that are typically restricted to Texas McCombs students are available to all UT students during the summer.
  • Non-McCombs students can fulfill both the ACC 311 and ACC 312 requirements by taking ACC 310F, which is a course offering in the business minor for non-business students and the McCombs Summer Institute.
  • For UT economics majors, the Business Economics Option Program is highly recommended as an option to fulfill the accounting course requirements.
  • Pre-enrollment requirements may also be completed at a community college.

Can I submit a recommendation letter from a non-faculty member?

At least two recommendation letters must come from UT faculty. However, you can submit an optional third recommendation letter from another type of reference such as an internship supervisor.

Does gaining admission to the MPA Bridge Program secure admission to the Graduate School?

Even if you are accepted into the MPA Bridge program, you are not guaranteed automatic admission to graduate school. You may be denied admission if your academic record falls below the standards set by the MPA program. In the final semester of your bachelor's degree program, you will move from undergraduate to graduate standing by submitting an admissions application and paying an application fee. You may continue your graduate MPA coursework after acquiring graduate standing and completing your bachelor's degree. If your status is changed to graduate standing but you are not awarded your bachelor's degree, the graduate standing will be removed and the MPA degree progress will not continue until the bachelor's degree is conferred. You must satisfy all MPA degree and program requirements to receive the MPA degree.

Will I have access to MPA academic and career services as soon as I'm admitted to MPA Bridge?

MPA Bridge students will have access to certain MPA resources including, but not limited to, academic advising and career coaching services, academic and career workshops, and career networking/recruiting events.

Will I be eligible to sit for the CPA exam?

CPA exam eligibility requirements vary widely from state to state. Your educational background and the state in which you plan to sit for the exam will determine whether or not you will need to complete coursework above and beyond your MPA degree requirements in order to be eligible to sit for the CPA exam. If you wish to qualify for the CPA exam in Texas, you may need to complete courses beyond the MPA degree requirements if you have not completed any upper-division business coursework as an undergraduate student. UT economics majors should consider incorporating upper-level business coursework, such as through Business Economics Option Program, into your bachelor's degree plan.