Apply to Canfield BHP for Your Sophomore Year
Want to join Canfield BHP as a sophomore? No problem. Plan ahead and reach out with any questions you have to give yourself the best chance for success.
Sophomore Applications Overview
The Canfield BHP Sophomore Transfer application will be open from April 1, 2023 through June 1, 2023. The application will be available on this webpage when live.
All students interested in applying as a sophomore transfer need to complete a Canfield BHP Sophomore Application.
External transfer applicants must also apply to transfer to The University of Texas at Austin. Internal transfer students must also apply for acceptance to the McCombs School of Business.
- Number and academic challenge of courses taken (min. 24 hours).
- Earned (non-placement) GPA for the first-year courses. *Due to the competitiveness of the application process, a student with a grade point average of less than 3.60 in at least 12 hours their first semester is unlikely to be admitted to Canfield BHP.
- Evidence of college-level extracurricular activities and leadership.
2022 Admissions Stats:
- Applications: 123
- Admitted: 21
- Average GPA: 3.97
Students interested in applying for Sophomore Admissions to Canfield BHP are strongly encouraged, but not required, to attend our virtual information session on March 8th, March 28th, or April 6th at 6:00 pm.
Links to the virtual session are provided at the bottom of this page.
Sophomore Application Requirements
To apply to the Canfield Business Honors Program for sophomore admission, you must:
- Complete and submit the sophomore application (application opens April 1 and closes June 1).
- Write a personal statement that explains your future goals and desire to join the Canfield BHP community.
- Submit a detailed expanded resume (only include what you have done during college).
- Submit a letter or recommendation from a professor or TA you had freshman year. Please note that you must use the system, which will email your recommender a request to submit their recommendation to us directly. *Letters from BA101 professors and non-graduate student TAs will not be accepted.
- Agree on the application to have your record checked with UT Student Conduct and Academic Integrity for any prior academic violations. Any violations will be taken into consideration by the admissions committee.
- Complete a phone interview with a Canfield BHP alumnus (by invitation only throughout June).
Required Completed Coursework
Canfield BHP Sophomore applications require the following completed coursework:
- Students must have completed at least 24 semester hours of college level coursework in the fall and spring semesters of their freshman year.
- Coursework must include:
- Economics 304K and 304L
- Complete Calculus sequence: M 408K/L, M 408C/D, M 408Q, or M 408R
Students are advised to enroll in classes such as Government, History, Calculus, and Economics at the University of Texas at Austin during their freshman year to show a challenging course load.
First Semester Canfield BHP Transfer Student Required Courses:
- ACC 311H, STA 235H, BA 324H, MAN 327H, BA 151H, BA 101H*, and MAN 101H* = 12-14 hours
- *Current McCombs students will take BA 101, STA 301, and MAN 101 in their first year, these classes will count towards Canfield BHP requirements.
- Students who are admitted to McCombs and Canfield BHP (transferring from another UT college or to UT/McCombs externally) will work with their Canfield BHP advisor regarding STA 301 completion.
- All incoming Canfield BHP students should prioritize Canfield BHP course registration in their first admitted semester.
Course Transfer Restrictions
Please note the following restrictions for Canfield BHP sophomore admissions. If you have questions about these, please contact the Canfield BHP office at 512-475-6325 or CanfieldBHP@mccombs.utexas.edu.
- Applicants who complete any other course from the honors core (listed below) will not be eligible for sophomore admissions.
- ACC 311, ACC 312, STA 371, STA 235, BA 324, MAN 327, MAN 336, OM 335, OM 235, FIN 357, MKT 337, LEB 323, MAN 374, DS 235
- No student admitted to Canfield BHP will be permitted to receive credit for any of these courses if they are taken during a summer session after the freshman year.
- Students are encouraged (but not required) to complete MIS 301 (non-honors) and STA 301 (non-honors) during their freshman year.
- McCombs students will take BA 101 and MAN 101 in their freshman year.
Upcoming Information Sessions
March 8, 2023 at 6:00 P.M. Central Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 982 9654 3958
March 28, 2023 at 6:00 P.M. Central Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 930 0232 3878
April 6, 2023 at 6:00 P.M. Central Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 969 7231 4988
Any questions about applying?
Ask us, and we’re happy to answer!